Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March 16, 2011

Where do I begin? This day didn't turn out quite as I expected!


Chris was off bright and early to the airport to go to Malta, but then had a long delay because it was pouring rain this morning and nearly missed his connecting flight in Rome. Yup, that rain is a tricky thing, I guess!
I figured the kids and I would spend the day kicking around here. Papa and Grandma were up and feeling good. They left around noon to go walk and explore the city. 

The kids were driving me NUTS by this time with cabin fever, so after I fed them lunch we went to explore the Biblioteca delle Oblate - a library that I had read about somewhere online that had a kid's room that was supposed to be great - computers, games, movies, books in the major European languages. It was only 5 minutes away from us and it was free!


It wasn't quite as the website described. There were 2 ancient computers, one of which wasn't working, no games, no movies, some rather ratty looking baby toys, and no books in any language other than Italian. The kids were a little disappointed. Oh well. It was in a neat building with some cool views out the 3rd story window.



Liam and Grace trying to figure out some Italian books

Abby and Hannah didn't mind, though, they can't read much anyway!

The library had a peaceful courtyard.

Liam and the rooftops out the window.

The Duomo as seen from the 3 story walkway.

 All in all, a bit of a let down, but it got us out of the apartment for a bit. On the walk back home we stopped at the dollar store (Tutto e 99 cent!) and I let the kids pick out some things to entertain themselves. The girls all picked out a pretend iPhone and spent the rest of the afternoon "texting" each other. Oh brother! 

John and Dianne made it back and we discussed their adventure for a bit and discovered where they had been what they had seen. Other than the on again- off again rain, it was a nice day to be out for a walk.

Tomorrow is March 17 - it's unification day for Italy. They are celebrating 150 years of being a country, and I found out that the celebrations start tonight. In the three main squares they are celebrating a different aspect of Italian art and culture, and at the Piazza Santa Croce, which you may recall is about 50 metres away from us, they were having musicians and street entertainers and readings of Dante. They should totally add readings of Dante to the stuff that goes on at Stampede. 


ANYHOOO... We had supper down the street from us, then swung by Bar Vivoli for some gelato and walked to the square to see what was going on. There was a big hot air balloon in the middle of the square and a jazz marching band was playing.

We got flags and buttons and bookmarks! And after Hannah and I made a quick pit stop back at the apartment (poor kid is cursed with my tiny bladder!) We decided to walk to the other 2 squares to see what was going on. It was awesome! There were flags everywhere and the buildings were all dressed up in green, white and red!
The Loggia in the Piazza della Signoria



At the Piazza del Reupubblica

Of course we stopped at the merry-go-round, or as the Triple Chicks call it, the Miracle Round!

It was a festive atmosphere
 There were bands, and a lady singing opera on the street corner and the guys with the flags throwing them up in the air.

Liam just came and told me he's still up. The fireworks start at 12:30, and he really wants to see them. If he's still up by then (and I'm still up by then) then I think he and I will walk down to the river to watch.


It was really fun to be able to celebrate this milestone with Italy!



No comments:

Post a Comment